Wednesday, February 11, 2009

New Adventures

On Saturday, January 31st Jared and I got the opportunity to go flying. I was over at my neighbor's house and he said, "JoAnn, I am going to go flying do you want to go?" I was speechless because I have never been in a small plane before. Jared was on his way to get his haircut and to the grocery store, so when we called him and told him what we got to do he flipped a U-y in the road and came home. Jared had never been in a small plane before either. Well, our neighbor has his own plane and loves to go flying. He just moved from Colorado so it has been fun for him to see all the different landmarks here in AZ. Both Jared and I were like little kids on Christmas morning while he got the plane out of the hanger. Mike kept asking why I wasn't talking while we were in the air, well it is hard to talk when you have a huge grin pasted across your face. The day was absolutely beautiful. Jared loved seeing the places that he has taken the scouts on camping trips and hikes. I have lived in AZ for about 11 years now, and I have always thought that it was beautiful, but being up in the air and looking down and really getting to see everything made me appreciate and love Phoenix even more. I laugh when people think that AZ is just a big dust bowl...with all the rain that we have had the last few weeks everything was so green and beautiful. We flew over Saguaro Lake & Roosevelt Lake and around the 4 Peaks. We learned that all planes are not allowed to fly over dams anymore (since 9/11) so we had to fly around the dam that was at Roosevelt Lake. The kids went down to the park and were able to see us as we flew over head. We couldn't see them but we waved anyway. I guess everyone at the park was wondering what in the world was going on when Jessica and Jocelyn were screaming, "My mom and dad are up there!" Jess even tried taking a picture but she was so excited that she didn't get it in time. If you ever get the chance to go up in a small plane, DO IT! It is something that you won't forget.

6 comments:

Sherry said...

That is cool! I agree that seeing the landscape from above really deepens our love for the land. I was lucky to fly over the Northwest Territories as a teen and the pilot was a Socials Studies teacher so I learned alot!

Nichols Family said...

Good to see you the other night!!! So fun you got to go flying :). By the way, my Dad used to own a little plane and had his license. He crashed us when I was 4 years old. Freaky huh? But when I was little I thought it was so cool to tell people I survived a plane crash.

Anonymous said...

How fun!!

Keri said...

What a treat to go flying with
your husband in a small plane like that! Hearing you talk about your trip makes me miss the beauties of Arizona and all of you guys. I need to call you so we can catch up
again....It has been a crazy few
weeks at our house. Miss You. Keri

Heather K. said...

That sounds like so much fun. The closest I have ever been to a small plane is flying from St. George to SLC. That isn't the same as yours but it would be fun to try sometime!

Amy said...

How great to see the sights up close! Loved the babysitting pictures too. It was great to see you the other night. Tell everyone in the ward Hi for us!
I'm so glad we can keep in better contact by blogging too.